PPD

PPD is a bit**.... well, you know.

I don't know why more women don't talk about it and own up to the fact that they suffer from PPD. I mean, we spent 10 months cooking up a baby, forgoing the glass or two of wine that would generally help make our husbands funnier, house clutter less stressful and life a little easier and then when baby gets here, we STILL can't have wine because we're breastfeeding the boogers and drunk infants aren't good for anyone.

So basically what I'm saying is that PPD isn't a hormonal imbalance that makes you crazy, its all about the wine deprivation.

And sleep deprivation. Did I mention the sleep deprivation?

Last night we drove home late from our friends house a couple of hours away and it was a little after 10 when we finally got home. EddsMcGeggs was snoozing peacefully in her carseat so we just put her in the floor of our room and left her strapped in but Ans was bright-eyed and bushy tailed once I got her in and dressed for bed. Que the freak out at 1015, and 1030, and 1045, 1115, 1145 and midnight. I finally gave up on trying to congole her and snuggle up next to her in her Nemo sheets and lay with her until she was asleep...When I walked out at 1215 and shut the door behind me so she couldn't opened it up and follow me, I finally fell asleep down the hall listening to her cry.

That makes me sound like a heartless and awful parent, I get it, but I'm running on about three hours of sleep a night and she doesn't look any worse for the wear this morning, so I'm gonna say it was a successful night.

Which leads me to my next point (like how there is no unifying theme here, just a rant? that's what sleep and wine deprivation PPD will do to you! This morning I actually had to check EddsMcGeggs while on the changing table to see if I had put a clean diaper on her, or if I in my daze had reused the old one). Anyway...my next point is this: DON'T have children if you don't have family around. Maybe you're one of those people who think you can do it all alone so hats off to you--I was once a naive person as well. I AM doing it all alone but at the cost of my and my husband's sanity.

I have a lot of friend who say they're willing to watch the kiddos for a while but I need a true Kiddie-Dump episode where I drop them off without having to first pack 3 hours worth of standard and contingent (what, she puked 3 times?! I got the extra clothes ready!) supplies and feel guilty about leaving my potty-training toddler and fussy infant at their doorsteps. Grandparents HAVE to love babies. It's in the code. They also generally have supplies around to deal with any unexpected emergencies, don't care if you bring the babies food because they'll feed the kids whatever the hell they want anyway, and YOU don't feel guilty about a grandparent's trip to WalMart to purchase a pack 'n play that they've decided baby needs. When the gear is there it just means you can dump the kids more since 'they spent good money on the thing, they might as well use it.'

What was I saying? Did this really start as a post about PPD? Ugh, I'd erase this entry but at this point I'm exhausted and feel like the 10 minutes it took me to write this needs to be documented.

I'm going to go put Big Girl in her room with a book, scootch McGeggs to Husband's side of the bed and I'm going to nap...possibly with an IV of wine...

Reread that last sentence. I had to. I wrote the thing and still I read it "put Big Girl in her room with a scotch." That's not what it says.

Comments

Popular Posts