Little Sponges

You always hear that children are little sponges, soaking up any morsel of knowledge (in my kid's experience, it's more like useless information) and invariably using is down the road at inopportune times. I was reminded of my kids "sponge" status a couple of times in the last 24 hours and thought you'd like to hear about it.

The first time is no big deal really. Big Girl's diapers have a picture of Elmo on them and she frequently walks around the house, pointing to her butt going, "ELMO! ELMO!" Now, nothing would seem super strange about that except we have never watched one full episode of Sesame Street in our house, ever. We are a Disney household so her demands for "Minnie" (who is actually Mickey Mouse BTW) as soon as her little feet hit the floor each morning aren't nearly as weird as her knowing who Elmo is. I've probably played Sesame Street for a whopping 5 minutes all together as I was waiting for The View to come on and Kelly & Michael to go off. She has seen this character only a few times and briefly which makes her sponging up his (her?!) name noteworthy. Not unlike instance where I was reminded she's a sponge number two:

Last night as we were scrolling through our DVR, Big Girl starts screaming "Boo Boo! Boo Boo!!" at the top her lungs. Is her notoriously sensitive child's mind picking up on a haunted spirit in our house, you ask?---nope! Although that might honestly be more appealing then what I'm about to say. Instead, my 20 month old toddler is sitting in her high chair wailing like a Irish Banshee because D had stopped on out DVR'd list and the cursor was hovering over our  single recorded episode of "Honey Boo Boo." She saw Alana Thompson's image and was immediately insistent that we watch "Boo Boo." Now, discussing the merits of Honey Boo Boo is best left for another post (and we really don't even watch it all that often! Like 1 or 2 times a month!), but suffice it to say the husband and I had slightly different reactions to the little Sponge-esque episode. I was mystified...D was horrified.

Lastly, this morning I was drinking my coffee and holding Geggs when Big Girl comes over to me with two of her brightly colored stacking cups. She hands one to me and proceeds to drink her "Boffee" from her cup. She turns those big blue eyes on me expectantly and before I can take a big gulp from my "boffee", she goes, "Chiws!" After a few minutes I worked out "Chiws" was "cheers." How you ask? Well, because she insisted on clinging out "cups" to one another's after every "chiws".

I promise I don't sit on the couch toasting D every time Honey Boo Boo does something seriously questionable in regards to hygiene or manners...the girls just soaks this stuff up from someplace. It make me very leery for Geggs. If Big Girl can soak all of this up from watching TV, what on EARTH will Geggs soak up from her big sister??

Comments

Popular Posts