They Are....!

Last week D and I had our first Stage 2 ultrasound (anatomy scan) for the twins. Two things came of this: one--we found out the gender and two--we saw two placentas!

Seeing two placentas is a huge deal. I won't go into all the medical reasons why this kind of pregnancy is better/safer (according to all my strenuous internet research), but suffice it to say that Robbin Ann is no longer a crazy mess worrying about the "what-ifs" of the possible complications that come from having twins share one placenta. Having the weight of all of those worries off my shoulders is a huge blessing and I feel almost normal again (or as normal as my hormones at 5 months pregnant with twins will allow). I DO hate that it can now be thrown in my face that the twins thing does seem to be my fault. Two placentas means that two eggs were fertilized which means it was my own traitorous body that thought doubling up on the babies when I already have two in diapers was a good idea. Stupid, stupid body.

Anyway, the second discovery of our ultrasound was that even though the babies aren't going to be identical (which is gonna save me a lot of trouble trying to find someone who will tattoo "Baby A" and "Baby B" on their feet before we leave the hospital) they are gonna be the same sex...

...

Both are boys.

STOP CLAPPING!!!

I hate that everyone assumes that just because we have two girls it means we were keepin' our fingers crossed for boys. Maybe Dom was but I certainly wasn't and it does nothing for my already fragile mood to be told how "thrilled" people are that we FINALLY get boys. Um, hello. Let me explain a couple of things to you:

1-With two girls 2 and under, my house looks like something Barbie threw Pepto-Bismol all over. Where are we going to put ANY boy toys? Certainly not the nursery closet, which has girl clothes in it, not in the attic, which is full of girl clothes and toys and definitely not in our living room, which is one toy away from being misidentified as a girls-only day care. These kids are gonna learn to embrace the Minnie Mouse-centric world to whence they came or play with sticks. There will be no more toys brought into this household.

2-Have you met my husband?! I tell folks all the time that I use to pray everyday for 5 sons...then I met the father of my children. Since then I have prayed everyday for 2 or 3 girls. It's not that I don't love my husband, of course I do. I think he's a great guy. But there is plenty of testosterone in D to go around, we don't need the added dosage around here, thanks.

3- Baby boys mean baby boy clothes (TIMES TWO!). No thank you! I already do 3 loads of laundry a day (or I should anyway, I kinda let it stockpile until the cleaning ladies can take care of it, but still), do I really wanna add muddy Carhartt and camo to the mix? And yes people, there will be camo and Carhartt...I'm from the south and besides the occasional photo op, my boys will look outdoor ready at all times (when I bother to take them our of their PJs, which will still probably be camo). No, thank you. I think until they're old enough to voice an opinion, the boys are gonna dress in princess nightgowns and pink onesies. Don't add to my laundry pile!

4- And this one is truly scary one. I even had the ladies at the doctors office questioning me about this one but I can't help it, this is how my mind work: I do NOT want to be some chick's mother-in-law. There, I said it. It'd different being a mother-in-law to guys. They really don't care either way about the "family dynamics" part of it and are pretty content to let their wives decide things with their mothers. Not so mother-in-laws to girls. I already don't like the skanks that will one day, eventually try to take my spot in my sons' lives. Why can't we have like, baby daughter-in-laws?? That way someone else is taking care of the feeding/sleeping/mischief making part of it and we get our sons back to us as respectable, Godly men?! Instead, we do all of that heavy lifting and then one day someone else gets to enjoy the fruits of our labor....

Oh. My.God. I'm already a terrible mother-in-law.

So yea, boys.

Boys.

What on earth do you do with boys?!

Is it okay to just throw them in the garage and let them play for a few hours?

Comments

  1. Robbin -

    I saw your NR Today article linked on Facebook via a Cristina Cherry like, via a Brittany Arnold link (if that's not confusing enough....). Followed that to your blog (which is hilarious, by the way). I went to Mom's Connection last year before moving out of the area. Just wanted to say "hi", and congratulations. What exciting and terrifying news. :) My sister always said she wanted twins, and I always said she must be crazy.
    Also really enjoyed your NR article. You write very well.

    Have a great day,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!! I just saw your comment but I appreciate you reading :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, Robin! Congrats on the great news! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you could answer a quick question that I have about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather, I'm not sure if I'm the one you want answering questions abt blogs since I literally just saw this comment. If you're still chewing on something though and think I can give you an answer, I'd be happy to help!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts