So Guess What Happened to Me About Three Months Ago...?

Oh, hi!

Yes, before you start I know it's been a while but I have been extremely busy. First, it takes a while to break in new furniture. My whole body impression is just now, almost in the couch where I want  it. Then the laundry isn't going to not do itself, so I've had to be pretty diligent watching it pile up.

But it's not just that I'm a horrible housekeeper or that I have questionable parenting practices that allow me to lounge on the couch for extended periods of a time, the main reason I haven't blogged in a while is because about three months ago, I got pregnant.

What?! you ask. Frankly, I don't know why you'd be shocked at this. Since the second I got married my body has been some kind of incubator and/or milk factory for the childrens. Did you really think I wouldn't get pregnant within a year of having my Line? .... 'Cause if you did you're not alone.

 I was all in the "Family of Four Club" and was just waiting for D to come around to my point-of-view. I was even willing to make concessions and told God that if He would wait to get me pregnant until October or November, I'd try to be okay with that. That's when He threw back His all-knowing head, roared with laughter and zapped me in the gut. I got pregnant probably seven minutes after that prayer convo.

I've got to be honest, I was struggling with the news. Not only because my grasp on sanity is tenuous now to say the least, but because I was worried what the financial burden of another kid would do to our family, and mainly, I was terrified about my ability to love a third child. I have made no bones about the fact that Line and I had a love/hate relationship the first 8 months of her life (btw, she's my favorite right now, which I'll tell you about in some other post. Awesome kid. I think it's the age) and I just didn't want that with another kid.I lamented to the girls in my Bible study more than once that I felt like my "mommy love" well was dried up and I had nothing left to give. I now envision the Good Lord rubbing His hands in glee at that little tidbit.

You see, yesterday was our ultrasound. Because I ovulate super irregularly, I have to get an ultrasound for all of my kids to date them. Ans was off by a week and a half, Line was over a two weeks off so I was expecting that the January 23 date I was given at my initial appointment was going to change with this baby as well. It did. I'm due February 2 though I was told to expect deliver early (again, both kids were, which has played no small part in why I love them as much as I do).

Picture this: Me, my enormous husband (6'6" for those not in the know) and our two precious, tired and hungry children crammed into a room smaller than most walk-in-closets, along with the ultrasound tech and her machine. Once we convinced Ansley that it was indeed Mommy's turn to lay on the bed and get her belly's picture taken, I laid down to see our 3rd and final kid for the first time.

Except that didn't happen. What I initially saw was the typical static television that we're all familiar with: black and white mixed blobs and white lines and a couple of distinctive white circles. I thought it looked like two uterus or something but obviously, I am not a trained technician, so what do I know? I do know that I'd probably have a better poker face than the tech did yesterday. When I saw the two dots I assumed were uteruses, she quickly shot me an "oh, crap" glance and continued her scan.

What was that look for?!

Finally the technician speaks, "Okay, well, here's one." Instantly one of the dots blipped on the screen. Instantly my heart dropped to my toes.

"One what!?" I practically scream at the poor woman.

""One baby. That means---"

"What does that mean? Are you telling me there's two?!"

"---there's two. Here's the other one."

Yea, I'm pregnant with twins. Que five minutes of hysterical laughing and crying from me. I'm talking nervous breakdown, call the patty wagon, hysterical laughing. Big Girl starts laughing (I think ) because she thinks its what we're supposed to do. Line is whining and looking at me nervously (smart girl--I don't blame her) and Dom has a stunned, forced grin on his face. I'm sure he said something incredibly inappropriate like, "Wow! Cool, what a blessing! We can do this!" but I really don't remember. I was still freaked out at this point.

We were asked if either one of us had twins in our family and we both immediately said no. Apparently, D wasn't told the importance of knowing your family history cause when we told his mom yesterday I was informed that her whole side is chock-full of twins. Had I known the truth, I never would have agreed to have D's children.

I've had a whopping 16 hours to process the information now and last night at Bible study I was told to be doing incredibly well. I guess my denial face is really similar to my acceptance face.

So the take away from this post is that: One, God knows what's going to happen and when you bargain with Him or try to schmooze out deals with the all-knowing, all-powerful God, He will laugh in your face and do what He knows to be best (even if you think at some point it might land you in treatment for alcohol abuse). And two, do not marry a man ignorant of his own family's medical history.

In the kind-of words of Bob Barker: Parent's, please make sure your kids know their medical history and wives, neuter your husbands.

(Mine will be come about December.)



Comments

Popular Posts