The Lesser of Two Evils

Man, I have written like 7 pages trying to put all of these feels down into one blog.

And before I start I just want to say that I don't make a habit of socializing with ignorant a*holes so no matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on, I 100% respect your right to your vote. I am not judging you--that's not my job and with 4 kids running around, aintnobodygottimefordat anyway.

I am really just writing this to try and process my own feelings so I can figure out how and if I am going to vote.

You have been warned.

I HATE that Donald Trump is the Republican nominee.
I HATE that for the first time since I was able to vote, I am considering leaving my vote for President blank.
I HATE that whoever will be the only alternative to Donald Trump is so ideologically different from me.

I hate all of this because I am not ignorant to the fact that men and women died to give and protect my right to vote.

I don't take that for granted.

But what am I going to do?

I am fiscally conservative. I believe in free enterprise. While I am personally socially conservative, I honestly think a lot of those issues should be taken up at the local levels and not slugged out in the Federal government.

If I had to label myself, I'd say I fit pretty squarely in the Libertarian slot, but with the corrupt two-party system we have, there won't be a registered Libertarian on the ballet for a while yet, so usually I vote Republican.

But not this year. While I can't bring myself to vote for a person whose ideological beliefs are so vastly different from my own, neither can I vote for someone who clams to be the banner carrier for socially and politically conservative people, all the while epitomizing a bigoted, ignorant, lying ego-maniac.

To my Christian friends who would tell me that Trump is the lesser of two evils, I would point out that this man has told the world that he is a Christian that does not need God's forgiveness. He is a "Christian" who shows his love for his fellow man by insulting them and bullying them and lying to them, all without remorse--his hateful vitriol does not allow any room for that kind of self-reflection. And while we know that that isn't what a Christian is, how do we explain voting for him to someone who doesn't? I mean, one of the biggest gripes non-Christians have is with the hypocrisy they see in our lives...is this not making sense to anyone else??

The answer is that we can't explain it. It can't be justified.

If we say we love God, if we truly seek to put Him first, how on earth are we going to elect a man like that to the highest office in the country?!

And look, there are a number of reasons I can't support a Democratic nominee either, but it won't be because the very idea of that person makes my stomach turn.

I get it, fellow conservatives--if we don't put someone in there, it'll be 8 more years of the same, and that sounds terrible. But I don't know that it is any greater evil than explaining to my children why I voted to put a man who made a mockery of my faith--who claims to be a Christian who doesn't need Jesus--into the most powerful position in the country.

Comments

Popular Posts