I Have a Favorite Child

Turns out you can bond with your kid a LOT better if she is not waking you in the wee hours of the night. Little Girl and I have FINALLY come to the place where I can lay her down after nursing her and she doesn't scream her head off for an hour and a half. At seven months you might say its about time and you my friend, would be right! I've had the most bizarre, vivid dreams the last two nights because I've finally been able to complete an entire sleep cycle.

If you ever want to have some crazy dreams, just get a good night's rest after a seven month hiatus from normal sleep patterns.

Anyway, this new, less blurry more alert way of living has opened my eyes to the fact that my youngest is a CUTIE PIE and a SWEET girl. Acknowledging these traits that my youngest has when my eldest *ahem* sometimes chooses not to display them, makes me want to come clean about something. I have a favorite child. I know it's controversial to say you have a favorite child but whoever says they don't is lying. It is TOTALLY normal to have a favorite child, especially if your options are sweet sleeping infant or a holy terror tantrum throwing toddler covered in dog food and agave nectar she pulled down from the counter to pour in a pot she drug out of the cabinet to bang incessantly with a dinner spoon she took from the drawer she knows shes not supposed to get into. Hypothetically speaking.

What is wrong is if this favoritism is permanent. If when your sleeping, peaceful infant wakes up and starts screaming at the top of her lungs to be barnacled to your side while your eldest is sitting nicely at the table in the chair she got up in herself and is coloring quietly on the paper you got out for her that morning, if you STILL like the baby more than her sister, well then you have a problem. Because then you're showing preference for one child over another instead of showing a preference for your sanity. And that's not right. Kids are all individuals and will be different but as a stay-at-home mom of two, I can not stress the importance of your own sanity. So don't like one kid over another because their personality suits you more--like her better because she is quite and not demanding your attention and making a huge mess of whatever you just cleaned.

Right now for instance I am pretty neutral. Little Girl is sleeping and Big Girl is sitting quietly, watching TV being babysat by Big Bird and Abby Cadabby. When I go to fold the laundry that I'm about to get out of the dryer and Big Girl starts to pull my neatly folded t-shirts down from their piles, well then I will again have a favorite child.

Comments

  1. I love it. Always making me laugh. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts