For a Minute There I Thought Christmas Had Come Early


You may or may not remember that my husband and I made the smart decision NOT to move out to a Mormon mansion in the middle of nowhere but to instead bought a normal-sized house closer to town. Since we made that purchase over 5 months ago, I have been carefully curating items for our new home (read: Pottery Barn now owns our first-born child).

Anyway, the spending spree is almost complete and we have just about all of the furniture we need to fill up rooms we didn’t have back at the 143 – y’all, this Southern girl has a formal dining and you better believe the first thing I did was buy miles of toile wallpaper to slap up on the walls.

I also went out and purchased too-short but very old table for said formal dining room that has been languishing under the onslaught of daily family meals, since the movers broke our previous cheap—I mean vintage—kitchen table.

Well, today our new kitchen table and chairs arrived and, let me just tell you, Christmas has come early.

Not only do I experience the joy of actually having a kitchen table (thereby allowing me to relocate our other, larger table to its rightful spot in the formal dining) but also, the furniture is the gift that keeps on giving as the boys promptly declared the cardboard box the chairs arrived in, a rocket ship. The huge box that once held the table is now cut in two, serving the dual purpose of a “boat” and a stage; presents for everyone!

The Christmas aesthetic is strong as well since the Styrofoam that held all of the furniture snuggly in their boxes has been ripped into about a billion pieces and now our living room is covered in white.

And not to neglected, we’ve even experienced our own early-Christmas miracle in the form of not a single child whining when I told them we needed to clean up all of the “snow.”



**I’ve just finished documenting this miracle and in the time it took to write it, more “snow” has been produced, a sister ruined the rocket because she was angry a brother wouldn’t share, the other sister is crying because she doesn’t know how to imagine a boat and the other boy is at my elbow demanding food.




Comments

Popular Posts